View Single Post
Old 21st September 2019
Gear Head

Everything that's worked for me has been mentioned above. In listening to your tracks, I'd say you have room in the guitars to carve out some lower mids for bass. They are pretty fat. As somebody else mentioned, in metal, you can often fit the bass somewhere in the 500-1.5k region pretty well, before the crunch of the guitar needs to take over.

One thing though that seems important about this style - it usually does have to be built around a huge guitar sound as first priority, with the bass locking into it, hence all the carve outs mentioned.

I have had good success with the "two tracks" approach. First I work on the low-lows to fit them under the guitar, making one big sound. And regarding kick/bass frequencies, try putting the bass lowest, cutting off around 90, then drop in the kick around 90-100. It can make for a huge sound. Then have your guitar highpassed just above that. And try to get those HPFs and LPFs steep - many will slope much more gently than you think, which in this case could leave tons of muddy lower mids in what you thought was just a "lowest lows" track, and overlapping with muddy mids in your guitar too.

The nice thing about this is you can really get your low bass and your guitar to lock together as one huge sound. Then work on your bass-mids track to fit with the guitar, and blend it in to where you hear it adding its signature mids to the sound. Again, per above, you'll have to fit it where the guitar isn't, so play with a variety of frequencies, boosting/cutting each instrument, because only you will know what you like best about your guitar mids vs what you can lose.

And also since you're direct, try all the amp modelers and distortions you have on that mids track. You will probably find one that fits great but they can all be very different. It will be easy for the first few to not help at all, and make it seem like distortion plugins aren't helping, but the right one probably will. Getting some good midrangey grit will be key to making that mids track sit right. I bet you can do it though with the tracks you have, from what I heard.

*Edited to add: I see above you mentioned trying heavy distortion. I would try lighter. Lighter crunch seems to give a bass a nice distinct aggressive tone in the mix with metal guitars; too much dirt and it can start getting lost.