View Single Post
Old 15th September 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvmoore View Post
Thanks. Yeah, I know about the trimming pot that affects the snare. In fact, I think it's TM4 which affects the noise level for both the snare and clap.

However, the truth is I'm afraid to open these things up, especially since they are modified. They are also very expensive nowadays and I'm no electronics technician so I definitely don't want to accidentally damage something while trying to get to the trimmer pots. Now, if one of my machines either have an issue or need servicing, I would send it to a professional tech who specializes in vintage gear and has worked on several 808s in the past. While he's servicing it, I would also have him fine tune the trimmer pots to my satisfaction. Of course, I would send him a recording of an 808 beat that has the instruments tuned similar to how I want mine so he'd know exactly how I want my machine to sound.

But yeah, If I was electronically inclined and a risk taker, opening the machines up and tuning them myself would be an option. However, I don't want to take that chance. Thanks anyway for the suggestion though.
Don’t be afraid to open up gear. Start with something either broken or small. Right now is the best time to get a cheap synth and reverse engineer them. $223 for a Boog. If you’re uncomfortable opening up your 808, than maybe a opening up a RD-8 will help you gain that comfort?