View Single Post
Old 15th September 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhonk View Post
What you describe is what I'm referrring to.

Since you ask for exactness, depending on your tool "tracks" may be called "lanes" or "takes" or... isn't there a DAW that has "revolver tracks"? (The terms "folder" and "playlist" are somewhat related.) Either way, it is about picking the most useful bits from multiple recordings of multiple renditions of typically one and the same sound (typically of musical instrument or voice) that ideally would all sound the same and equally good, but actually don't. Because of this general similarity, the resulting comp can be described this way: for every point in time, the comp contains the sound from the same point in time from exactly one of the recordings. That is not true for e.g. an audio montage.

In practical terms: you seem to play an instrument or sing, and want to record that. You're probably no perfect player / singer... or are perfect, but like to vary aspects of your rendigion. Thus you want to play / sing and record bits of music multiple times, to have at least one convincing recording of every bit (or sub-bit within the bit).

A decent DAW then will greatly out-reward your learning curve by letting you record the bit over and over (with metronome and punching and pre-roll and whatnot), cut the bit into the proper sub-bits and reassemble them with minimal effort. Maybe some audio editors like Audacity do that too, to some extent; I never checked Audacity in particular for its capabilities in that regard.

The (variance of) meaning of "comping" and its application have also been discussed in these two threads.

[Edit] PS: Regarding a 'printed' click track, I just learned that Studio One (a DAW) has a "Render" button in its metronome setup that creates just that. I understand Studio One has a free version, but can't tell right away if it has that very feature enabled.
Well, I'll just say that your post just about kicked my ass and i will probably have to read it ten more times and do several internet searches before i actually know what your talking about. Thank you, though! Seriously -It all seems very necessary and relevant for me at this stage in the game...