View Single Post
Old 15th September 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
Absolutely. But too much sugar or fats (saturated fats at least) are bad for you no matter how much you work out.
Well, not trying to be cute, but it's impossible to not agree with the above seeing that "too much" is always, well, too much. Hyperhydration is a thing as well... when you have "too much" water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
But yeah good health isn't all about diet, exercise matters of course, but I wasn't speaking to good health in general, just diet...
Right. My point was just that it's easy to look at these numbers and think that there's this magic number to meet and going above it is overdoing it. My point was just that in some cases you can go beyond what is recommended to the general public considering how poorly exercised the masses are, and you will be just fine.

For example:

Quote:
Originally Posted by creegstor View Post
Mhmm, you can burn off ingesting anything within reason. Doesn't make it a good idea or healthy.
When participating in an endurance event ingesting far more carbohydrates than one normally would isn't just acceptable, it ends up being a prerequisite to finish the event without "bonking".

As long as the amount of carbs ingested per hour is not higher than what the body can transport into the blood stream and as long as exercise is in a correct range those sugars get burned pretty much right away. They don't even have the chance to turn into fat. No problem there.

Ditto with ingesting salts (electrolytes really) on a hot day when sweating a lot while exercising. You're absolutely often going to lose more than you gain.

Protein? Depending on the exercise type and intensity and body tendencies a person can actually end up using protein in addition to fat and carbs. If that's the case then adding protein to what one ingests makes sense.

So for example; a recommendation I've seen many times is that a male should get about 60g/day of protein. But that's for a sedentary male that weighs around 155lbs. American males are eating about 50% more than that but are also weighing a lot more in many cases. So then you look at someone that is 45+ years old and doing strenuous workouts on a daily basis, and those numbers change.

-------------------

PS: I obviously don't disagree with the premise of the OP, to take a peek at the actual nutritional contents on packaging... And "fat free" blows...