View Single Post
Old 15th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Thank you for sharing, Roland! A WAV file is worth a thousand words. And the song is beautiful, please feel free to send me a link once the recordings are finished.

To be honest, I'm surprised at how much bleed was in each track; both are well isolated given the fact that it's live, but I feel like I've gotten a similar amount of isolation with hypercardioids (haven't worked much with figure-8's) so I was just expecting something closer to a studio/booth level or isolation. That said, I couldn't detect any phasing issues once the mics were combined, so it's really a moot point; you've got great control over the mix in post, and no artifacts! Well done, especially considering that the artist wasn't making anything easy for you.
Hi Daniel,

Thanks. As I said, I have reduced the guitar bleed in the vocal mic since, but the vocal bleed in the guitar remains the same as in this test. It is, of course, a balance between bleed/isolation and dryness/wetness (and being wary of proximity effect) all set in the context of the proximity of the two sound sources (in this case, extremely close). I like the approach, but it is only one of many.

Cheers,

Roland