View Single Post
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolksoundman9 View Post
Hi Daniel,

The recordings proper are still in progress, but here are some brief snippets from an early and rough take of one of the songs (so no need of a critique from anyone!). These comprise: the guitar and vocal combined, the guitar-only track and the vocal-only track. Should give you an idea of the bleed. The singer-songwriter is short, plays sitting down and fairly hunched over (i.e. mouth about as near to the guitar as you can imagine, so a worse-case scenario!). In more recent recordings I have reduced the bleed of guitar of the vocals a little more (and have used a better suited mic), but have stuck with the guitar approach (spaced pair of fig 8s, 30cm apart).
Thank you for sharing, Roland! A WAV file is worth a thousand words. And the song is beautiful, please feel free to send me a link once the recordings are finished.

To be honest, I'm surprised at how much bleed was in each track; both are well isolated given the fact that it's live, but I feel like I've gotten a similar amount of isolation with hypercardioids (haven't worked much with figure-8's) so I was just expecting something closer to a studio/booth level or isolation. That said, I couldn't detect any phasing issues once the mics were combined, so it's really a moot point; you've got great control over the mix in post, and no artifacts! Well done, especially considering that the artist wasn't making anything easy for you.