View Single Post
Old 10th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2018 View Post
I want to shape my sound as good as possible. Will be using it then on a pads bus, drums or vocals etc. Will be more of a analog sound shaping tool. Not sure if the mixer will crank that vintage drive sound full, or imenseley wider my synths in production process. And I’m a gear slut
Well again, you can’t buss synths together and then hand off to the mixer, unless you really want to tie his hands! And it’s great being a Gearslut, but no point spending money on something you can’t use.

In your situation I’d either make the commitment to mix yourself and buy the gear for it, or focus on the creation and leave the mix polish to the mix engineer.

If you record vocals then obviously there’s an option for investment; if not, you might want to look at hardware synths or simply the best itb synths you can.

As a mixer, there’s some things I’d look at width wise, but really with edm you want the production to be there before mixing. I just don’t really see where outside of tracking, hardware fits into this workflow. As soon as you start processing stuff, you’re starting the mix process. Either commit to that and mix your own stuff, or work on your production chops and hand it off.

(And if you are committed to mixing yourself, there’s some great online courses to give you tips now!).