View Single Post
Old 9th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Four on the four corners, and the other two where?
A room has twelve corners... Only four of them are vertical... I'm not sure if that's what Johann was referring to, but all of the corners in a room are fair game for bass trapping. The more, the better.

Quote:
I plan to buy stands anyway but why should the speakers be against the wall?
To reduce the severity of SBIR. If you have your speakers very far from the front wall, then SBIR will occur at a very low frequency: too low to be important. But the distance you need for that is around 3m (aprox. 10 feet), so you need a rather large room to be able to do that. The closer you get the speakers the wall, the more the SBIR issues move up the spectrum, into the lower end of the bass range, where they are very audible... and very, very hard to treat. And as you get closer still the issue continue to move up the spectrum more, until with the speakers very close to the wall (just a few cm away), the issues are now completely out of the low end, and into the mid range.... where they are not so noticeable, are probably lower in intensity, and can be treated a lot easier.

Quote:
I have read it's good if they are detached from the wall a bit.
Unfortunately, you heard wrong. There's an awful lot of incorrect information about acoustics floating around on the internet, unfortunately.

Quote:
I took care of positioning them 60 cm away from the wall.
If you mean 60 cm between the rear corner of the speaker and the wall, and assuming your speaker is maybe 25 com from front face to rear face, that places the drivers around 85 cm from the wall.... thus, your primary SIBR dip will be at about 100 Hz, where it is hard to treat.

Quote:
The speakers have rear bass ports too (should I plug them? And also there are room EQs switches which I never used).
It's not necessary to plug the ports, unless you flush-mount the speakers. As long as you leave a gap of about 10cm between the rear of the speaker and the wall, that's plenty.

- Stuart -