View Single Post
Old 6th September 2019
Here for the gear

Hello,
Boggy is currently unavailable. I'm his colleague, and I've been talking with him how to reply on your questions

So here we go bit by bit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechrisl View Post
Boggy, I've been looking at the MyRoom white paper and your info in other threads. Am I right in understanding the design requires approximately 50% loss in original room volume to treatment?
No. It depends on the room, its characteristics and absorptive materials available in the local market. Also absorptive layer can't be without thickness(!). Following our principles, absorptive treatment should be done by integrating diffuser and absorber into one system, hence they have mutual influence on each other. So we can manage the thickness in certain limits, if certain absorptive materials are available. The thickness of the treatment can be in total (e.g.) 30cm per wall (approx. 10cm diffuser + 20cm absorber). We need that on walls if it is preferred to prevent (unresolvable) big dips in Frequency Response at listening position.

Quote:
Applying that to my room, which, after the inner wall is constructed, will be around 6.7m x 4.9m x 2.4m -- that would be like giving up an extra meter in each wall and part of one in the ceiling for treatment? Obviously we're talking really rough numbers here, I'm just trying to get my head around the idea & trying to figure out how small a room I can live with. The intention would be as a multipurpose live/mix room.
Boggy told me about Philip Newell and how he was doing low frequency treatment with hanged panels. The treatment was 1-1.5 m thick per wall. So, if we succeed in reducing thickness of whole wall/ceiling treatment by 3 or 5 times in a small room, which would mean about minimum 30cm per wall with adequate materials, with acceptable results, that would be already some progress, right?

Quote:

I would love not to have to give up space to the room in a room design but my environment dictates a decent amount of soundproofing. I'm starting with a 9ft (3m) ceiling and really don't want to end up with anything less than 8ft (2.4m). I am considering inside out walls and ceiling to facilitate space for treatment but this would obviously require way more space than a "normal" stud bay or joist bay provides.
If soundproofing needs to be done in residential building, first of all it is not that easy, if it's even possible, because of Low Frequencies. And that is mostly because of load bearing limits in such buildings (which is usually just about 150kg/m2). Without further and deeper analysis of your particular case, we won't be able to tell you how thick your treatment and soundproofing should be, and to check if it's even possible.

MM