View Single Post
Old 6th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Hmmm. So in your examples, there are a couple of things that I've noticed that may help.

As an aside, the "clank" you speak of - and I know what you mean - is typically (on a bass) in the range between say 400k-1.6k, then scooped, and then a narrow(er) peak around 4k (or higher) for the upper pick (or slap) shine. The challenge is to carve that space out in the other instruments and decide which of them will take it up.

So, in your examples, you have room in that lower mid from about 250-700k which seems to have been scooped out of everything - that is right in the range for a good bass-clank. I would start there and remember to not be overly obsessed with the sound of the bass while solo'd - it needs to work within the song first. You would be amazed at how "odd" some bass tones sound solo'd in some songs but work perfectly (especially in fast or "busy" arrangements).

Since you have double bass drum consistently throughout most of the arrangements that are percussively mirroring the notes you are playing, shaping those two together should yield your desired result on the low end. Choose which one you want to take up the very low end (40-80) then carve that out of the other track - together they should sound as one cohesive thick bottom end driving. Then deal with the 100-300 range to de-muffle - I would play with some ducking and/or multi-band compressors on kicks and bass to try and get that spacing correct. After that, the bass distortion/clank range should fit into the mids.

You are also going to need to deal with everything occupying the same freq's in the higher end of the spectrum - you seem to be over-occupying the kick-click, snare-snap, cymbals and guitar ice-pick highs - I mention this because the upper bass shine will be effected (not to mention the trouble you will have when adding vocals). It is also very perceivably loud. Same thing applies here - choose which will take which and listen to them TOGETHER, not solo'd.

So make some carving decisions as to what will occupy what range. The distortion/grind sound of a bass will not be audible until you do that. Once you've "de-masked" everything and put it in its place, then you can get into the finer-tuning type things like single vs. humbuckers. Again I mention this because you need the space to hear those things first.

I know it is a little more involved then perhaps what you are after, but you should not expect a "I used a P bass (or made it a midi track) and everything now works" type of result.

Hope this helps.