View Single Post
Old 31st August 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post

Would you happen to know if a pair of 10T or 10M's can be chained together during recording with reliable sync-lock to give up to 16 mic inputs ? I'm guessing the T version would be necessary for this, as it outputs timecode ? That would be a cheaper option than buying a Scorpio....
There is a video somewhere on youtube of Paul Isaacs linking two MixPre10Ts via timecode to have 20 tracks of simultaneous recording (dont forget the stereo in which can be used with external mic pres), triggered by the controls on one of the machines. I did inquire with Sound Devices about whether this will work between a MixPre10T and a MixPre10 II, they replied "Yes, you can use timecode and rec run to `link` together. What this means is you can have them run on the same timecode and use Rec Run to trigger the recording function of the slave MixPre-10 "

I believe he may even have set up simultaneous playback as well by routing the outputs of one unit to the stereo in, which I suppose actually makes for 18 usable inputs at once.

Good points above and I'll say again that Sound Devices has been nothing but excellent in their service (I've been on the phone with them numerous times). All and all I'm very satisfied with the product I bought and have made many excellent recordings with it. I still think Sound Devices is a great company.

Nobody expects technology to hold its value for very long these days and I'm certainly not in the business of speculating on gear, I'm in the business of making music, but you must admit that this particular situation is somewhat unique. Mainly, I guess I'm just frustrated because I would actually like to upgrade to the new one, but the hit I'm going to take now on the current machine makes it difficult to justify. Don't care much about 32bit personally but the adjustable limiters would be a really fantastic tool.