View Single Post
Old 31st August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMillionMangos View Post
I've had the Intelligel Shapeshifter for about 3 years. Recently I wanted to try out some other complex digital oscillators and so bought, borrowed or extensively tried out the following:

noise engineering cursus iteriras
noise engineering ataraxic iteritas
noise engineering basimilus iteritas alter
noise engineering loquelic iteritas
The Harvestman - Piston Honda Mark III
Mutable Instruments - Plaits

My opinion on these modules as a shapeshifter user:

noise engineering cursus iteriras
Boring. I can do everything but better with shapeshifter. The sound palette is actually very limited compared to SS.

noise engineering ataraxic iteritas
Very similar to cursus iteriras and equally boring compared to SS

noise engineering basimilus iteritas alter
This is sort of cool as a drum module but often sounds a bit thin and overly digital

noise engineering loquelic iteritas
much better than the other DVCOs from noise engineering I tried but also is very boring next to the shapeshifter

The Harvestman - Piston Honda Mark III
Unusable glassy distorted trashy mess on most settings. With tame settings it's very boring next to the shapeshifter.

Mutable Instruments - Plaits
Feels like a toy, very standard unoriginal preset-like sound palette with not much interesting modulation.

Mutable Instruments - Braids
Bought this a few years ago, hated it, sold it.

I returned all modules except the basimilus iteritas alter, which is OK but sounds thin and creates a lot of crappy digital clicks when modulating with voltage block but this is comparing apples to oranges with the shapeshifter. All of the other oscillators I returned and was surprised at how boring they were next to the SS.

Anyone disagree that the SS is the best D VCO for Eurorack? If so, what is better? I have yet to find anything providing you actually know how to fully use the SS to it's full extent. Of course there are people who have used it for 10 minutes who can't get any sound out of it because they don't know about the modulation busses and MOD A is set to vocoder settings and there's no output and then they say it's **** etc, but among people who ACTUALLY know how to use it, I haven't heard anyone suggest an oscillator which is actually better....

Thoughts?
afaik all noise engineering modules are drum modules?? or? thats what they do kinda.

i think you should try the e352.