View Single Post
Old 27th August 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
For me the problems with mic modelling are:

- you can’t really monitor in real time - well, it’s better with the hardware accelerated options like uad an d the edge systems, but slate can’t run in real time - so when you’re tracking you’re listening to something non representative. Or I could just use the mic that sounds right.

- it’s another layer of “let’s tweak in the mix”. Instead of committing.

- if I’m sending vocals on to someone else, I have to render every take with the plugin. Boring!

Pro's of Slate ML-1 :

Slate VMR is latency free, so no monitoring issue.
At 96Khz, latency is under 2 ms in most thunderbolt interfaces, and around 3-3.6 ms for windows usb. Which will be universal for any microphone.

Sure, print the track, once you have recorded it with your favourite mic emulation. Who has stopped you from committing ?

I want guys to see an obvious benefit of changing microphone as in real, Sony 800m for verse, and using C12 on chorus,
without changing anything else, just mic emulation!

And what any EQ won't fix is the mic sound. You will be struggling to adjust using EQ's for a bright recorded mic, and desiring a warm vocal or a vice versa.

Economics :

Every equipment and gadgets, right from PC to monitors/convertors/headphones etc every single thing comes from money.
After 1 year of warrenty, maintaince/repairing issues are another headache.

Technology is advancing. Operating system/plugins/DAW's will get more complex and feature rich, requiring you to update systems every 2-3 years.

Of course, you can go ahead and shell out 8000-10000$ for classic microphones, if you have enough cash. Economically that will be a sheer waste, as only the known and Big-Budget product houses/running studios use these microphones. They produce thousands of songs in a year. With such earnings, cost of these recording equipment get covered.

But of course luxurious people have capability to afford anything.

@ Thread Owner, guy aspire to make huge selling records and make more and more music on pro level, in an affordable way.

Going for Slate VMS, Everything Bundle and VRS8(if he can stretch out) will make him compete hand in hand with
Mastering level Professionals. Not Mix engineers, but Mastering engineers known for having the most premium convertors/ interfaces. VRS8 beats Prism's convertors in specifications.
Rest is upto his production capability.

Townsend Sphere+ UAD will cost him 4X times than Slate ML-1.

Sphere 22 is 1800$+, UAD X6/X8, 2000$

Sums up to 4000$. Same for Antelope.(With poor customer support)

>>> Slate VMS ML-1 is 799$ only, and in upcoming winter deals, will be easily available at 500$.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Steven Slate
makes gears,plugins with an ideology, for everyone to afford, use, make great music, and spend holidays chilling in dream locations with saved money.

And in case you have any issues, Slate Support will resolve and help you out fastest. Even it requires units swapping direct from production house. They really care for you !
Their CEO personally helps you out and responds to any query.