View Single Post
Old 25th August 2019
Here for the gear

Problem that seems like sibilance but I don't think it is?

I'm a relative newbie, and I've recorded about 10 songs already, and I'm currently recording the loudest vocals that I've ever done, and I'm running into some problems. I'm getting what sounds like clipping, but only on very specific words and consonants (usually s and sh sounds, but not all of the s and sh sounds, and also some other words that don't have s's in it). I also notice a slightly louder ambient hiss than normal in the entire recording.

My initial thought is that it's just a sibilance issue, but I've messed with the gain in every way possible, and even tested taking the gain down so low that I can barely even hear the vocals, but no matter how much I mess with the gain, the distortion and the hiss are still there. I've tried many different mic placements, and even this "bubblegum trick" that I found online that's supposed to stop sibilance, but nothing has worked. It's definitely not a spike in volume of any kind, but I don't know what else the problem could be.

The hiss makes me think it's a setup issue (which it could be, as I recently moved), but I don't believe I've done anything different than before. Any thoughts as to what it could be?

I'm using a Shure SM7B and a Focusrite Scarlett Solo.