View Single Post
Old 22nd August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous View Post
I think I have narrowed it down. Since I made things much more difficult then I thought they would become, I figured I would get a unit that offered more, even if I do have to deal with some programming. I will just 'try' to limit myself from going down a rabbit hole while using it. I didn't want to sacrifice too much on sound and effect types, just for ease... so...

Alesis Quadraverb Plus, or Yamaha SPX990 are my choices.
A few things to keep in mind:

The QuadraVerb Plus is a true multi-effects unit, with up to 4 simultaneous effects possible (depending upon configuration), while the SPX990 is a "multi-effect" unit, with many different types of effects, but only one available at a time. On the SPX990, you can use EQ, compression or a "Harmonic Driver" before and/or after your main effect, but your main effect is either delay, reverb or some type of modulation--but only one.

As with the Alesis and any other type of digital outboard gear, using EQ or compression in-line in a digital effects box can be problematic. If your mix setting on the box is 100% wet, then you get all the EQ and/or compression you're trying to get. But if you roll back the mix because you don't want a 100% wet reverb or delay/flanger/etc. signal (which you're using as part of the effect), you lose much of your EQ and/or compression--and you introduce phasing issues.

I've always liked the sound of the Yamaha SPX reverbs, but some people think they tend sound a bit "metallic". (I think it's part of their charm!) That may be exactly what you're going for (or not!), but you won't really know until you hook it all up...and by then, you've probably already bought the box, so....

Finally, the SPX990 uses balanced XLR or TRS connections; the QuadraVerb uses standard, 1/4" connections.

All that said, I still think the Yamaha would add a nice character to your sound, and move you a bit further away from the "Alesis" sound. (There's nothing wrong with the "Alesis" sound, but sometimes it's nice to hear how other effects boxes sound.) Of course, there's still the new, dual-effect, tc electronic box I mentioned earlier (the M-ONE XL), which can do most of what the Alesis does, and is designed for live use, with a minimum of fuss in dialing in the effects you want.

Steve