View Single Post
Old 20th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAH View Post
No, I did not use DAT, and it does not invalidate my point. The thing is, 48 kHz limitation is the very limitation of fidelity observed on different prosumer systems while ABing ADDA against the analogue source (mic feed or vinyl) or at different sample rates. Lost gets the depth or 3d space as well as the air around and the body of individual instruments.
As for my chain and hearing abilities, I did tests in headphones, hd580, yes, with speakers + room it is harder or impossible to hear these miniscule things. To say more, I did hear the dithered version as the better one in a proposed 32fp to 24 integer test on a inbuilt laptop DAC later confirmed on a better DAC, cant give you the link now, though the tester has my PM with my right guess. Also, on my own recording I did recognize 8 of 10 times while ABing dithered vs truncated at 24/96. Do not know whether it adds credibility to my hearing/words/experience.
Please understand that I am in no way impeaching your listening skills. I'm simply saying that DAT is merely a format, and neither uniquely adds or subtracts anything in terms of quality. A 44.1/16 CD, and DAT, and playback directly from your DAW should all sound the same if you're using the same DA. Singling out DAT as some sort of problematic ruiner of otherwise great-sounding digital audio is misled.