View Single Post
Old 20th August 2019
nms
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark View Post
It seems that you don't understand the basic principle of the reflection free zone (RFZ) which is primarily responsible for the stereo image, so that you mix it all up and again and again (the infinite loop starts here!) mention "proper room treatment".
I don't know who you are even talking to right now, as nothing you just said addresses any of my statements, least of all the one you quoted.

Quote:
In fact you can have a very uneven bass response and still a very good stereo image and vice versa. The wall reflection, although not harming high frequencies, still influence the stereo image.
Is there a reason you're stating something obvious that no one is disagreeing with? Not sure why you're mentioning this.

Quote:
At the end of the article he notices the depth issue, all quite clear and very easy to understand. He makes an isolated statement for itself which he seem to believe does apply.
Now's probably a good time to remind you that he's a magazine writer, not a studio designer. Anyways, his statement:

"In general, the further the speaker is from the back wall, the greater the impression of soundstage depth becomes"

Yes, he believes "in general". How many of his readers are in poorly or entirely untreated rooms? Most of them. As I said before, the design of the room and its acoustic treatment can make that statement completely invalid. And if we're talking about an artificially created soundstage which isn't in the recording and is caused by the room, that's the last thing we want in a studio environment.

In any room I design, my clients expect an excellent LF response *in addition to* excellent stereo imaging. If you can't produce both then you don't know what you're doing.

Stop going in circles. You're complicating & confusing a simple issue. Placing speakers closest to the massive boundary will minimize LF phase issues, and absorption on the wall is able to solve ANY negative influence to the upper frequencies and stereo image.