View Single Post
Old 20th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioforce View Post
I don't know that you can always take one isolated factor, and expect that to make all the difference in a given guitar. But it seems to me that you can probably combine factors that are generally known to have a similar effect, and reliably influence the overall sound of a solid body guitar that way, no?

Best,

audioforce
Maybe, yeah. Providing you have access to large amounts of the same materials, so that you can do reliable tests. Problem with an individual builder is that you order some woods and make a few guitars, and then order more woods some months later, and it's different wood offering different affects.

Large manufacturers like Gibson and Fender go to great lengths to standardize production as much as they can, and they have the advantage of obtaining huge runs of the same kinds of woods from the same sources. But guitars are really very different. Go to GC and play ten Les Pauls. They will sound, feel and resonate differently from one another. Same with Strats or Teles. you have to play a lot of them, and pick the one you like best. Fender does not want this situation. they would prefer that all Teles of a certain style are basically identical.

If they can't do it with they highly controlled purchasing, standardized manufacture processes and R&D departments populated with some of the best people around, it's no surprise that I find it difficult to do, buying small runs of wood, and making guitars one at a time from what woods I have been able to acquire.

It seems that for the small builder, the task is to avoid mistakes that result in weird resonances, not craft the very best advantages. Eliminating weird resonances and "dead" SB guitars is difficult enough. I've made a few of those, in spite of being careful. Sometimes it just happens, and you don't know why. Then sometimes, you create a guitar that rings and rocks, and again... you're not sure why.