View Single Post
Old 19th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhoc View Post
@ Synthpark : EQ:ing is not an option to prevent SBIR. SBIR occurs due reflections of sound which has already left the speaker and you cannot stop the sound electronically after it has already left the speaker towards a reflective object. (I think = do not know for certain, John PM on this forum (the author of REW) wrote you can prevent / lessen it with EQ but it was not an easy procedure, so in practice not manageable.)

Regarding the Sound on Sound article; What they write as a down side with speakers close to the front wall has to do with what the end consumer might enjoy = a wide and deep soundstage. Fairly strong reflections from side walls and the wall behind the speaker will widen the sound stage outside the speakers and also depth. That might be enjoyable and nice to listen to but it is a false widening and depth. It does not exist on the recording, it is due to interaction of the room and speaker setup.
Alright: And why are people using it then? You cannot reduce reverberation with EQ, a time-domain problem, but you can improve your frequency response (sound coloration) within limits using EQ (we are talking about just a few dBs here). I don't like it because I use more than one pair of speakers and do not want to switch between one EQ setting and another.

Regarding the arfticle: We are talking about studio work and the most authentic reproduction of the sound stage, so to speak the stereo information in the recording. An ideal control room has a reflexion-free-zone and should disappear, not enhance any sound stage, just disappear altogether and only provide controlled reverberation, but no early reflections. It should not interfer in any way as to narrow the depth impression. The article can be understood exactly in the direct way as it is written, hardly any room for misinterpretation .

Last edited by Synthpark; 19th August 2019 at 07:00 PM..