View Single Post
Old 18th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pindrive View Post
The perfect guitar is taking the wood you have & knowing exactly what to do with it.
True that!

Quote:
The problem is that the Les Paul is on a blueprint as having certain dimensions. Those dimensions are cut by a CNC machine, finish sanded & painted. No thought goes into whether a little more material should be taken out of the body, or neck, to get it to ring out properly.
And short of being CNC, 50's Pauls were simply built to factory specs as they are now. Nobody was ringing out bodies and necks at the Gibson plant in 1959. I'm very suspicious of the value of doing that with solid body guitars anyway. I recall DeTemple's ads regarding his Strat and Tele clones. I've played em. Strat and Tele clones are what they are. Some of the best, indeed, but not magical.

Quote:
In classic archtop building, you learn this. Graduation the plates, getting the recurve just right(For the desired effect) & building the neck with the intention of complimenting that piece.
Sure, high-end arch top building is another animal altogether. More closely related to violin building than solid body guitar building.