View Single Post
Old 18th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortingJack View Post
Again with the at-right dogwhistles. Ffs. Normal people don't just use that word. You're insidiously mainstreaming ideas that don't belong outside of chan forums.

You made a gross sexist comment and now you can't take the heat. Don't try to make yourself the victim.

First of all that song is fantastic and you'll likely never write or produce anything as witty, earnest, or well-written as that. Also, a vast majority of the best and most famous rock music since the '90s alternative rock through post grunge, nu metal, and at least the end of the emo era, was not just very male dominated, but also as whiny and emotional and depressive as this, if not more. I was going to point to specific songs, albums, or bands, but honestly it's a majority.

You're basically conflating a "get off my lawn!" getting-older-and-out-of-touch with a serious strain of sexism, and amplifying it with alt-right talking points.

Also, with regards to drugs and hallucinogens, what world are you living in? A large minority or possibly a majority of musicians since the '60s has been on some sort of drug when making their best music. Not that you need to, but pointing the finger at women only is not just contrived but completely ridiculous.

As Bill Hicks said (and as quoted in Tool's Third Eye):

“You see, I think drugs have done some good things for us. I really do. And if you don't believe drugs have done good things for us, do me a favor. Go home tonight. Take all your albums, all your tapes and all your CDs and burn them. 'Cause you know what, the musicians that made all that great music that's enhanced your lives throughout the years were rrreal ****ing high on drugs. The Beatles were so ****ing high they let Ringo sing a few tunes.”

I agree that racism, politics, and sexism shouldn't be welcome. Pointing them out is part of the process of them not being welcome.
Oh, boy, you sure knew what you're doing when you picked that nickname.

1. There is no heat of anything sexist. You created it, and lives only in your mind. Pointing out behavioral facts about the American female population has nothing to do with sexism. You don't understand the meaning of this term, and you should stop using it.

2. You dislike political content on gearslutz, yet you are labeling me as an alt-right person (is that good or bad, you'll have to tell me, you keep bringing politics in spite of hating it, so I imagine you're good at it, but perhaps terrible in admiting it );

3. I don't care if song writers use drugs or not, it's their personal life, I use my ears to judge it, and so does everyone else. Nobody cares what writers/singers do in their private life. This is not relevant to our debate here. If you're trying to point that drugs don't alter your perception of reality you have a problem. Good luck with that.

4. That Billie Eilish song, or this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TsVjvEkc4s

or this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaJx0Gj_LCY

and many more from today do so well and are highly popular because their target public - half of the American female population under 30 - is in a mental state altered from ingesting psychiatric medication, opioids, alcohol and other hallucinogenic substances. Yes, so called "depressive" songs always existed, but where they as popular as today in US?! There's an obvious correlation between the way you manipulate your own body and what you project, and there is an obvious trend going on when you have a critical mass of many young females behaving in a similar manner that keeps growing and growing as time passes in parallel with the growing popularity of "depressing" tracks. Can you connect the dots? If you refuse to accept a fact, you refuse reality. Are you?

5. After reading the above are you sure that is me who should you be concerned of "getting-older-and-out-of-touch"?