View Single Post
Old 18th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortingJack View Post
Again with the at-right dogwhistles. Ffs. Normal people don't just use that word. You're insidiously mainstreaming ideas that don't belong outside of chan forums.

You made a gross sexist comment and now you can't take the heat. Don't try to make yourself the victim.

First of all that song is fantastic and you'll likely never write or produce anything as witty, earnest, or well-written as that. Also, a vast majority of the best and most famous rock music since the '90s alternative rock through post grunge, nu metal, and at least the end of the emo era, was not just very male dominated, but also as whiny and emotional and depressive as this, if not more. I was going to point to specific songs, albums, or bands, but honestly it's a majority.

You're basically conflating a "get off my lawn!" getting-older-and-out-of-touch with a serious strain of sexism, and amplifying it with alt-right talking points.

Also, with regards to drugs and hallucinogens, what world are you living in? A large minority or possibly a majority of musicians since the '60s has been on some sort of drug when making their best music. Not that you need to, but pointing the finger at women only is not just contrived but completely ridiculous.

As Bill Hicks said (and as quoted in Tool's Third Eye):

“You see, I think drugs have done some good things for us. I really do. And if you don't believe drugs have done good things for us, do me a favor. Go home tonight. Take all your albums, all your tapes and all your CDs and burn them. 'Cause you know what, the musicians that made all that great music that's enhanced your lives throughout the years were rrreal ****ing high on drugs. The Beatles were so ****ing high they let Ringo sing a few tunes.”

I agree that racism, politics, and sexism shouldn't be welcome. Pointing them out is part of the process of them not being welcome.

But u are not the arbiter of what counts as racism or sexism. Even if u were, ‘pointing it out’ in the manner u did was an overtly political act and against forum rules. That is obvious to others here as well. Accusations of ‘alt right’ ‘sexism’ and ‘dog whistles’ are terms dripping with political ideology. They have no place here. Don’t get me wrong, comments about the percentage of females on medication I think is also v inappropriate here also and totally off topic as well as being an absurd explanation for singing voices. I’m not interested in someone’s sociological pet theory on that topic either. You can urge someone to stay on topic without getting political. This applies equally to those on any side of politics.