View Single Post
Old 17th August 2019
Here for the gear

Advice/feedback on this please? (Soundproofing/Studio Design)

This is going to be a bit of a long one, so stay with me...

For the last couple of years, ive been operating out of a garage, and i am starting to become frustrated with not being able to mix accurately while i am recording, since i am doing everything in one room. I also have so little soundproofing at the moment (mostly due to gaps in the wall), that you can fairly comfortably hear a conversation inside from outside the studio. I don't mind having some background noise while i am mixing, so i don't intend to soundproof my control room at all to save costs, but isolating the live room side to the point I'm able to record live drums without needing to worry too much about annoying the neighbours (even if i need to be a bit careful about when specifically i record them) is the goal.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I don't have any real experience in soundproofing, and even my theory on the subject is a bit limited. This is a very early design concept for what i would like my studio to become. I understand that effective soundproofing is extremely difficult, especially in a space this small.
Additionally, i understand my biggest problem will most likely be the low frequencies. Finally, yes i know this will be very expensive and possibly not worth the effort, or money to achieve.

I just want some advice on if this would be an effective way of achieving what i am after, and if not, how i could achieve this in a more effective way.
Price is not a factor at the moment. Id rather know what i need to do, before i work out how much it will cost me to do, as this is still (best ways) months away.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Attached is the room, as is, at the moment.

So its a single layer of brick on the two side walls, and a double layer of breezeblocks on the back wall (far right). The front wall is a stud wall in front of the existing garage door. As its a rental property, we cannot really do any modifications that cannot be undone.
The room is quite dead sounding, as we have already essentially turned the ceiling into a huge absorber. The only real acoustic issue ive heard in the room is that if you stand right at the front and clap, you will hear a reflection come off from the back wall.

Id initially considered creating a stud wall construction (as in the diagram), plus a floating floor, and a new decoupled ceiling under the existing one, leaving about a 2 inch gap between the existing walls and the new inner ones, but attaching it to the back wall as that backs onto the garden which sits about 7ft above the studio floor. However i now believe it to be hollow behind that wall, so i would need to leave a gap too.
I would like to leave more than 2 inches gap, but as the room total is only 202.5 x 259cm , i dont believe i would have enough space to leave much more than is already there. and i figured keeping an airgap and then having an inner room would be more effective than having no gap at all. So here lies my first question:

Is it more effective to have a small air gap, or to just fit as much mineral wool as possible into the gap instead?

If i was to leave the air gap, id have a 2x2 stud wall with a single layer of rockwool 2 inches away from the wall, as in the diagram. Id also most likely line the existing walls with mass loaded vinyl and plywood or plasterboard.
If it is more effective to not have an air gap in such a small environment, id probably construct it where i have something to decouple the inner wall, then 2 layers of the stud wall, but with the beams offset, again probably using mass loaded vinyl again between the walls, unless theres a better way of doing this?

also, do i use RW3, RWA45 or RW5, as i have seen all of them being mentioned, but am unsure of really what the differences between them are. Isn't RWA45 the least dense, and RW5 the most?
Is there any benefit to using 2 kinds, so that there is less chance of a resonant frequency ruining the soundproofing or messing with the response of the room?
I have heard of people saying not to use RW5 as it is dense enough it will start to reflect HF back into the room instead of absorbing it? Is this true, and/or is it likely that i will need to worry about it?

I would also be interested to know if it is more effective to have material on the inner and outer walls, or plywood/plasterboard. Logically, id believe material would mean less reflection, but although ply would mean more mass, it also directly couples to the wall frame... anyone know anything about this?

Finally, how is the design generally speaking? Is there anything that is a completely terrible idea in there
(besides attaching to the back wall, and possibly using non-standard sized doors into the live room).

Everything i have put into the design is something that would be difficult/undesirable/impossible to remove, but if something does seem unnecessary, by all means suggest it and ill see if there's anything I could do.
Could this actually even sort of work?
Having measured it in the room, i think that although it would be tight, it could work in terms of how much space id have (and maybe even sound ok). However, since my soundproofing knowledge is lacking, i cant say for certain, and id rather not invest in £3000 worth of rockwool to find out that it will not work at all

Any advice/feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks,
-ND
Attached Thumbnails
Advice/feedback on this please? (Soundproofing/Studio Design)-future.png   Advice/feedback on this please? (Soundproofing/Studio Design)-present-no-label-.png