View Single Post
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkie View Post
Actually it’s a small section of a very large “open
plan” floor in NPR’s Washington building.

To the left rear in the above video it is wide open to a very large open space with many desks with low cubicle dividers. To the right rear is a wide corridor to the central open atrium with stairs and elevators. To the left front is a low divider and on the other side is the engineer who records the concerts on a Sound Devices 788.
Besides the many mic MKH418 there is a pair of ? Schoeps MK4’s hung from the ceiling roughly above where the camera is located.
The video is shot roughly on the diagonal of this
“office”.
That's great to have so much additional detail about the space these are recorded in...thank you on behalf of everyone who has interest in the way the Tiny Desk series is captured

When it comes to what the mics actually see/hear however, it's effectively a pair of absorber/diffusors behind the players (ie the bookshelves) at right angles...so the team there have created a relatively reflection-free alcove for the band (notwithstanding the low ceiling height...but even that is possibly perforated acoustic tiles, like they use in school classrooms ?)

I don't know where the instrument amps are located, perhaps under that desk in front of the players...and perhaps we're getting a blend of miked cabinet plus DI/line-out sound ?

So I'm puzzled as to whether the large acoustic space surrounding them actually has much bearing on the sound we hear, compared with keeping levels low, self discipline and internal balancing via arrangements.... plus careful mic selection ?

I don't see any monitor wedges for players...that would add to the general dB level being pumped into the space, and is likely thus "not cost effective"?