View Single Post
Old 16th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Mac View Post
The triangle is formed perpendicular to the front face of the speaker's cabinet. Hence if you rotate the cabinet, you don't have an equilateral triangle anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundman2020 View Post
As soon as you rotate the speakers,[...] there is no longer an equilateral triangle. Period. End of story
My take :

Following Northward illustration, if speakers are angled of 30°, the direct signal from speaker (0°) (represented in black line with arrow, added by myself) is on the same line as d (added by myself in this illustration).

If you rotate your speakers around its axis point, you still have your equilateral triangle.

Overlaying both images from Northward:

d is still equal to d as you can see. The triangle doesn't move.

You only change the direct signal (0°) direction.

d and the 'direct signal' paths are now in different directions.
Difference is equal to the angle difference between your two compared positions. Here 5°.

If we overlay both (30° and 25°) direct signals.

So, equilateral triangle is not a myth. And it's NOT defined by the rotation of your speakers but only by d (distance between 2 axis point of your 2 speakers).
Attached Thumbnails
Equilateral triangles/ monitor placement.-d.png   Equilateral triangles/ monitor placement.-25.png   Equilateral triangles/ monitor placement.-both-supperposed.png   Equilateral triangles/ monitor placement.-30-arrow.png   Equilateral triangles/ monitor placement.-capture-d-ecran-2019-08-16-12.33.03.png  

Equilateral triangles/ monitor placement.-overlay-overall.png  

Last edited by JayPee; 16th August 2019 at 10:54 PM.. Reason: Spelling