View Single Post
Old 15th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nms View Post
Distance from the wall with rear ported speakers comes up now and then, but in reality I think the speaker angle is sufficient enough to allow the port to function well enough. What's your take on that Stuart?
I totally agree! People seem to be far to scared of rear ported speakers, or ones with rear passive drivers on them. They don't bite if you put them close to a wall! I'm more concerned about good ventilation than I am about rear ports, for speakers that have heatsinks on the back that get hot. If a rear ported speaker has to go very close to a wall, and there's no ventilation issue, then just plug the port with some type of insulation (even Bert's socks are good for that... ). The same for a rear-ported speaker that is to be soffit mounted (flush mounted). It's usually a good idea to plug the port in those cases. There seems to be reluctance with many home studio builders to do that, but it's a valid and useful technique, and it won't break the speaker.

Quote:
... I definitely do advocate absorption between the speakers on a regular basis. I use it in any room I design which doesn't use flush mounted monitors in a hard front wall (or have a window viewing a live room).
I agree with you here too: for free-standing speakers (not flush mounted / soffit mounted), I usually put some absorption on the front wall, in addition to whatever bass trapping I might have. But that doesn't happen too often: most of the rooms I do are based around RFZ, with flush mounted speakers, so the front wall is mostly reflective.

- Stuart -