View Single Post
Old 14th August 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT64 View Post
Why not use an master power switch for the whole rack?
That's an interesting idea, BT. Might work. I think my concern would be that hitting the on switch on the master would engage every power supply, whether I needed every mic or not. Tubes and valves may last for years, but they all fail sooner or later. I hate to run tube-based gear if I'm not using it.

This came to light because I'm looking to add to my tube mic inventory. I know that I'm just grousing about what is either design laziness on the part of manufacturers ("That's just how they're made, man"), or a failure to see that a problem even exists. Audio engineers and studio owners may have noticed the problem, but have quietly accepted it as too minor of an issue to grouse about or to raise it with manufacturers.

Because of the way that power supplies are designed, what it comes down to is:
  1. Either the on/off switch and LED are visible and accessible from the front, or the pattern selector is visible and accessible from the front, but not both;
  2. Either the on/off switch and LED are in the rear and are neither visible nor readily accessible from my workspace, or the pattern selector is in the rear and is neither visible nor readily accessible from my workspace;
  3. Either the AC line sticks out of the front of my rack and has to be looped back or the audio cables must connect from the front, which would be even worse. The best I can achieve is to loop the AC line back, which looks dumb.

I've attached a couple of photos for illustration but I give up trying to make the pics appear with the correct rotation. Even rotating them to the right and resaving the rotated images doesn't work.
Attached Thumbnails
Why are all mic power supplies designed for inefficience?-ps-front-view.jpg   Why are all mic power supplies designed for inefficience?-ps-rear-view.jpg