View Single Post
Old 10th August 2019
Lives for gear

from an aesthetic point of view, i still think there is not much of a point to record all registers separately: results will be quite different due to the lack of interaction and bleed from the mic's, but also phrasing, articulation and even putch: intonation for some singers is more difficult when wearing headphones...
plus the project becomes very time consuming. also, in such a church (or small chapel i'd say), i'm not sure i'd want to use fig8's. how to blend mains (and maybe ambis: to feed the efx device) of isolated recordings remains a problem and results in a high track count...
in any case, i'd make sure there is at least one very good version of the whole choir with all mics in the right positions (i'd put four sdc's on the choir, an ldc on the guitar, use a stereo main pair and maybe an ambient pair far back in the room) - could be interesting to compare results then...
my personal view is that things are over-ambitious for all the wrong reasons: just make a nice recording of the entire choir including any instruments - ain't that difficult actually and shouldn't take that long...

if recording sections on their own i'd put them into their original positions and use a stereo spot; i'd also have them double their parts...

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 10th August 2019 at 10:39 PM.. Reason: typo