View Single Post
Old 9th August 2019
Lives for gear

I wonder if it's ok to change gears somewhat, since this thread has thoroughly examined the solo-instrument-plus-piano accompaniment conundrum, and generated much great conjecture and practical guidance ? Please permit me a slight diversion to the somewhat less-common solo violin recital, minus the 'distraction' of any accompanying piano....

I'm thinking of miking somewhat to one side or the other of the standing player...rather than perpendicular to his torso facing the audience.

Building from aracu's advice of narrow spaced (11-14", angled out), near field omnis such as OM1's, at just above or below shoulder height....and far enough away from the player to get a pleasing room-to-direct sound balance. Not too high in the air, to avoid stridency.

I'd like to avoid any sense of sway or movement across the stereo picture, as well as any sense of phasiness from the mic pickup...yet get a sound which adequately fills out the stereo soundstage; neither too centred/narrow, nor comically wide.

It's a tall order, I know...but are narrowly-spaced, near-field omnis capable of delivering on these criteria for a solo violin recital ?