View Single Post
Old 7th August 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYXCKO View Post
To get a top 40 sound you need gear. period. (...) What I am saying is the song creation lyric writing and production process is the only thing that should separate one another when potential fans listen. Not the sonic characteristics and quality. To get a top 40 sound with the best outboard, ssl, and mics should not cost as much as it does. It shouldn't be out the hands of less fortunate people. It isn't right. (...) 99% of people in this country especially at the age of 18-27 cannot afford the gear that is necessary to compete with the people in the top 40.
I'm sorry, but accusing other people to be responsible for your own situation is not very relevant. You don't need 10K$ gear to sound like a top 40 song, especially in our VST era. If you know how to compose great melodies and chords on top of an efficient structure, then you are already competing against Top 40 tracks. The only thing you may miss is a perfect mix and a top-class mastering to sound loud & proud. Fortunately, anyone can nail a great mixdown with any DAW nowadays. A good mastering engineer will then charge $50 per stereo file, or 150$ for a stem mastering. It costs money, indeed, however, I'm not sure such an expense could be considered as the exclusive domain of "rich kids and drug dealers".

Quote:
Show me a top 40 song made on a scarlet solo and a rode nt1 or anything that wasn't made on a $10,000-$100,000+ setup in this last decade or hell since the year 2000.
90% of electronic & urban songs. Many pop tunes are also made with a macbook and vst. Some of these tracks still required a high-budget, but only because of the top producers /session vocalist, etc involved. If you are the producer/singer, then the cost is zero (apart from the mastering of course).

Furthermore, 80% of Top 40 tracks have nothing to do with musical genius. It's only the same 4 chords in a loop, a very simple beat a 5 notes max melody. Anyone can compete with that.

Quote:
The goal should be whether you are a beginner or a pro is to make money from music.(...) Competing with the top 40 should be the goal from the start of your career to the finish!
If you want to make a lot of money, learn computer programming and create your own company. I'm afraid you may have a lot of difficulties to reach the Top 40 with such a mentality: "screw music, love cash". Most of the people you see in the rankings are here because they already have a fanbase. Any crap song they make will be heard by millions of people in less than two hours, and everyone will praise them for their "masterpiece". If you want to reach this level, you need to develop your own sound, play live, and get your own fanbase, this way, labels will notice you (like any investor, they don't care about your product, they care about people's love for your product). Then, you will have the possibility to make your way through the top. Producing clones of popular pop tunes will lead you nowhere. 40.000 tracks are uploaded on Spotify each day. Why would people listen to a guy who does the exact same thing than their favorite band? Please, forget your cash & celebrity fantaisies, find your own sound, and play music with passion. This is probably your best shot to succeed.