View Single Post
Old 2nd August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughshouse View Post
This thread has psychological ramifications that extend well beyond the bounds of various S R, broadcasting & recording endeavors.
Over the past 50 years I have had the great opportunity to work with some of the best acoustic musicians that have ever plucked or bowed a string. (J.D.Crowe, Ricky Skaggs, Jerry Douglas, Tony Rice, Vince Gill, Jimmy Mattingly, Steve Lewis & Doc Watson to name a few) With every one of these stellar performers a clear and defined parameter of execution exists and they seldom if ever exceed their comfort lane. This is the trademark of a professional session player that can approach perfection with very little apparent effort because they have defined lanes that they stay within and believe me, they have no problem "staying at the house" rather than venturing into uncharted creative waters. I cannot imagine anyone ever asking Andres Segovia to play a rock riff on a telly: he probably could but the reality is he never would! This propensity extends well beyond the world of professional musicians into artisan craftsmen and other every day occupations. It is diametrically opposed to folks that find pushing the margin and risky situations a thrill.
The wonderful thing is there is a need for all types of occupational preferences!
Hugh
...i'm still not getting your point/how your comment relates to this thread.