View Single Post
Old 29th July 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughshouse View Post
Unfortunately Brent, there is no logical protocol to deal with stupid drummers and loud back lines.
Maybe not. So I guess I'll have to forget logic and move on to politeness and tact. We'll see if that works.

Quote:
The more interesting question is why do you continue to work with this type of miserable conditions when you know full well what you will be dealing with. I am a big believer in the benefit of the word no: living a rich life is a lot more about our options than money and the materiel accoutrements associated with professional success.
Because, in the big picture, it's not all that miserable. I love great music and musicians, I love being accepted among them, I love recording and mixing (especially the live streaming/broadcast no-do-over kind) and I love new challenges. And my wife loves that I love all this stuff, because apparently I can be tough to live with when I don't get enough of it; that counts for a lot.

Six loves in two sentences, zero misery.

And it's not a humble-brag because there's no humble, but I'm already doing it better than anyone else has at this place and people are noticing. But the game still needs a lot of work.

As for the money, it's actually pretty lousy. But the networking is incredible (it's LA, for Pete's sake), not just for engineering and mixing but for song-shopping as well, and I've already gotten a few nice daylight-hours gigs out of it. The internet radio show I mixed for several years was also helpful in that regard, but this is already proving to be tons better.

Besides, I have no grandkids and I hate golf. :-)