View Single Post
Old 25th July 2019
Here for the gear

I've learned some very interesting things from this thread so far--really fascinating, thank you so much to all who have shared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpdonahue View Post
I'm sorry, but if you don't have even a cursory understanding of the basics, you have no idea what question you are even asking. Do the research first. There are reams already written about the topic. Once you do this basic research, then make a list and contact the people that can answer your questions. Nobody can do the work for you.
I regret making the remark to which you were responding here, as I can see now that it must have seemed rather flippant. Let me reassure everyone that I'm not in any way looking to be spoonfed or to avoid doing my own research. What I had meant to say there was, no matter how much research I do, I simply don't see how there can be any proper substitute for the direct observations of veterans who observed the progression of the recording process first-hand over a long period of time. I certainly will not be using this thread as my only source of information, or even my main source--I've simply intended for it to be a supplement and a sanity check on exactly the kind of "basic research" you describe. Sorry for not making that more clear above. And thanks for sharing your own experiences as well!