View Single Post
Old 10th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxdsm View Post
Sure - but that can happen with any Sample library - this thread is about Splice. There is *nothing* different about Splice, other than it's unique pricing/credit model - paying per sample vs. buying an entire library. Obviously if a sample is incorrectly licensed to a library there could be a problem. That can happen anywhere.

The problem I have is that Splice is being singled out, and specifically that the *risk* is being overstated, presumably because Etch and others are equating the "Community" feature of Splice to the Sounds feature - thinking *random* loop creators can upload and distribute samples to Splice Sounds with dubious origins. That is simply not the case.

The risk you take in using Splice is the same risk you take in using any other "traditional" sample library/sample cd/etc. Nothing here is different.
Yes, “splicing” a project (a collaborative reworking) is completely different from Splice sounds. The point is, various labels sample libraries are/were (until recently) part of Splice, so the warning remains. WA are not a small operation either. Once it happens, you’re in a potentially bad situation.

I was reading this thread earlier this week, thinking the same thing as you probably. That first, people are confusing two different aspects of Splice, and secondly, exaggerating the potential issues with using Splice sounds, or any other libraries.

My point of view has changed, I received that letter this morning.

Yes, the thread is about Splice, but there is no difference. Any of those WA libraries could have just as easily been available on Splice, as many others are. As someone mentioned, Splice is like the Amazon.com or Walmart 3rd party marketplace to some degree (in terms of distribution).

I have no issue with Splice being singled out specifically, as they are one of the biggest players in the sale of sample libraries. The basic premise of the thread applies to others as well as Splice.