View Single Post
Old 6th July 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scragend View Post
So would the average bedroom guitarist on a budget have a pre-amp wih the "right" impedence to suit a 57? I suspect not, is a bedroom type amp at bedroom levels going to tend to sound thin? I suspect so. I close the case for the PR-20 your honour! in reality no-one is ever going to get fired putting a 57 in front of a guitar cab. A used one at the right price could easily be sold for what you paid for it so that's a low risk option.
Yeah you're right, all the presidents of the United States have sounded thin and fizzy for the last 50 years because thats the mic that has been on the presidential podium every time a president has spoken for the last half a century.

If your 57 is thin and fizzy you have either dropped it really hard onto concrete several times or you dont know what you are doing using it.

A 57 even loaded into the wrong impedance sounds very good assuming the source isnt crap, if you want to make it even better getting it the correct load doesnt have to be all that difficult or all that expensive.

The ART MPA micpreamp has variable impedance and sounds quite good for around $200 used or $350 brand new and it is a two channel preamp.

You can buy an xlr barrel with a couple resistors in it for about $15-$20 that will get the correct load for your sm57 or you could even make them yourself cheaper if you can solder.

Yes there are tons of mics that will work for recording electric guitar but to say the 57 isnt suited for somebody recording in their bedroom is ridiculous. It's a studio and industry standard for 50 years for good reason, it's simply a great mic for not much cash.