View Single Post
Old 6th July 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
I have probably used the sm57 over 100 times with guitar cabs and no fizz was ever recorded onto a track. I got great results with the SM57 on countless different guitar cabinets.
If you get fizz, then its not the MIC.

Look up these songs and listen to the guitars. No fizz and they were recorded with an SM57:

1. Lindsey Buckingham used it on some of his guitars for Fleetwood Mac - Like his Guitar solo on “Go Your Own Way”
2. Sufjan Stevens, “Greetings from Michigan”
3. Bon Iver, “For Emma, Forever Ago”
4. The Killers - Day and Age, guitarist Dave Kuening used SM57 on that song for his guitar
5. “Project 57” - Recorded an entire song, start to finish, using 57s on everything: drums, guitars, lead and backing vocals, and bass (a Rickenbacker 4001 pumped, oddly enough, into a Gibson Lab Series L5 solid–state amp). As is always the story with the 57, it may not cost much, but the sound and vibe it generated hardly sounded cheap.

There are just too many to list. No fizz though
I think you're missing my point an I'm fully aware of the almost ubiquitous use of the 57 in the industry. I'm not saying 57s are fizzy, I just prefer the more refined sound of the PR-20 in the sort of application the OP suggests they'll be using it in.

Side by side on every source I've tried in a low-volume home-studio environment, I prefer the PR-20 - in comparison (at home studio volumes) the 57 sounded like it had a fizz to it. I also think the PR-20 is a better (male) vocal mic - since the OP on a tight budget he's getting a decent vocal option for his buck. The 57 is also a killer snare mic - but is that what you need in your bedroom? Sure if you're recording a Marshall stack at full tilt, the upper mid bump of the 57 isn't going to hurt you because the sheer SPL will take the edge off the highs. But will will hurt a practice amp at bedroom volumes. Anyhow, any of these mics will do a decent job. I was just trying to suggest something that may be more suited to a bedroom-recordist with a small (or non-existant) mic locker. Yes, every studio needs a few 57s to add to their extensive mic lockers. That's not (I believe) what this thread is about.