View Single Post
Old 4th July 2019
Here for the gear

Thanks for the reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
Delay is always based on buffer size and sample rate. Always and for every system. Doesn't matter what DAW.
Yeah, this I know.

Quote:
Compensation for the delay should be handled by the DAW. Including Pro Tools. Pro Tools gets reported the buffer delay by the audio interface. Turn delay comp on. If in record and you want delay comp on, you need to turn OFF low latency (the numbers will turn blue signifying delay comp is working on the record tracks) per channel by right-clicking where the delay numbers are per channel and selecting. By default, delay comp is turned off for record tracks in order to reduce overall delay for an input to output.
I didn't know that I need to turn OFF low latency. I don't think I will use this too much in record mode. My workflow would be that I record something without FX, then send it through the FX while recording another piece of gear. When I want to use that particular FX on something else I have to real time commit it. This way I can also recall the mixes without the outboard. (Except for the 2-bus FX)

Quote:
You have complicated things by putting an AD/DA after the RME. The RME cannot report the conversion delay created by that piece of hardware back to the system because it does not control it.
I might be off, but I don't think this actually matters. I'm just hard wiring a patch cable from the DA to the AD and then recording it back to PT. Then I'll measure how many samples/ms it's delayed. This will be my number in the H/W insert delay tab.

Quote:
H/W insert delay is not supposed to be used the way you are using it -- it is for delay created by actual hardware -- not the audio interfaces. Those are two different sources of delay.
You are right. But it seems to be the only way to use outboard gear in parallell with PT if you are not running a full PT HD/HDX studio.

Quote:
Also, btw, insert delays are session import-able. You can import that from a template for different sample rates/buffer sizes.
THIS might be my workaround! Thanks, I'll check if that's something I can rely on. I wish PT/Avid would move on from the days where they made the hardware. A ping like in Logic would be so much easier.