View Single Post
Old 29th June 2019
Gear Head

Not my style of music but it's a pretty sweet project and interesting - thanks for sharing. I liked tracks two and three more than one and four, and if I had to guess those two were also the one's done on a large console (track two sounds much bigger and clearer than track one, it's not a subtle difference to me). Overall the first track seemed to lack both bite and cohesion, I have to actively tell my ear to follow a sound or instrument instead of something jumping out and grabbing me and taking me for a ride. Also I'd enjoy more variation of volume and intensity between verse and chorus. Some of that might need to be addressed at the writer/producer level though? But IMO it should be tinkered with. Just my $.02. Track two sounds excellent, crisp, big, consistent and sharp transients, and the track takes my ear from the lead guitar to the drums and back again, and the vocals sound clear and distinct. Track three sounds nice to me, albeit not quite as large as two, but overall it's better than one and not far behind two. Track four is probably the average of the other three, but to me it also has a much smaller soundstage and presence than two and three. Since this isn't my turf, it's a bit hard to objectively criticize any style or sound, but from the gut I want music like this to have drums that flat out smash, which means they can't be too 'busy' or have too much else fighting for space in there. Again, I really don't know what the artists or producers are looking for style wise, so it's all subjective, but I'd make the tracks punch harder and be less busy overall. Track two though, it does stand out to me. I wouldn't touch that one.

If you do make any changes can you post a note so we can check back?