View Single Post
Old 21st June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
I’m actually intending (still - been a while in the planning) to get cymbals but no kit! Reason being I’m no drum tech, so I’d have to make plans to keep it maintained, and IME I can sample replace to fix crappy toms and even the snare, but trashy cymbals ruin everything. And sometimes even good live cymbals don’t sound great in the studio, or a drummer only has one cymbal they bash repeatedly.

I agree completely, however, I have over $10,000 worth of cymbals (Zildjian K, K custom dark, A, Sabian Aax, Vault, HHX, paragon, Paiste Signature, Bosphorous, Turkish) and don't consider that anywhere close to covering everything sonically. And despite having what I think is a great collection optimized for recording, sadly drummers still typically want to use their own stuff unless there is one of those increasingly rare producers on-scene to over-rule them. Occasionally I win this debate after convincing them to do an A/B recorded demo, but that's a PITA....we drummers can be stubborn folk....

Whereas most drool over the Recording Custom signature kit I mentioned earlier. I'd say it had about a 75% acceptance rate, typically paired with a black beauty. But not many kits have the sort of reputation/status to do that... perhaps also DW, vintage Ludwig in some cases. Maintenance and tuning is not hard - a billion decent youtube how to videos. Despite this I am surprised by how many drummers can't tune well and are shocked when they hear a nicely tuned high-end pro kit.

Perspectives clearly differ on this sort of thing and there really is no right answer when it comes to this IMO.... just sharing what has been the case in my own experience.

Last edited by bambamboom; 21st June 2019 at 12:59 AM..