View Single Post
Old 17th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vientos00 View Post
Wow! Your saying that your symphony compared to the x32 recordings were hard to tell apart? That’s crazy! Not in a bad way. Especially if my main recording tasks for it will primarily be drums. At this point it just comes down to price. If I can get the Midas at a lower monthly payment than the x32”s 3 payments of 400 Than I will.
My wife and I are going to try for a baby soon so the deal is that before that happens , I’m upgrading my recording equipment. I’m definitely buying the Warm audio 251, a new 27 inch imac, and either the Midas, the X32, or the Apogee Element 88. While I’m sure that the element 88 will not disappoint I’m hoping that the x32 or m32 sound as good as you say and it sounds as good as the symphony , than it’s a no brainer. Also , for some reason clients get all crazy and excited when they see a big board,or console. They have no idea what converters or micpres are or what they do but they see a huge mixier and automatically think to themselves, ‘’this guy knows what he’s doing’’ or ‘’now this is a real good recording studio’’ lol
i'd be a bit more careful when it comes to comparing: while it's true than most newer digital gear sounds quite amazing to what could be achieved spending the same amount of money using analog gear, a better way to compare recordings would be if mic signals get split using a splitbox, signals going to two entirely separate systems and then switching between those two systems upon playback; a proper a/b/x test wouldn't hurt either...

while my dm1000 with external ad8hr mic pres still sounds very good (and got used on hundrets of recordings/is still in use as a backup system on smaller projects), the few times it got compared with my newer, larger and way more expensive setup, anyone hearing the playback could easily tell the difference (and no one liked results from the smaller/older rig better) - things often become more evident if using many channels and/or with mics on more delicate sound sources.

i suggest you should spent enough on room treatment, get (or rent) the best mics you can afford for your recording projects, same for mic pres (and maybe converters) and decide on functionality and suitability/workflow what desk to get... - try/rent before you buy!

but more importantly: all the best to you, hopefully soon to become dad, and your family!

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 17th June 2019 at 11:55 AM.. Reason: typo