View Single Post
Old 9th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by smccarthy945 View Post
First off I want to say that I love producing music and recording. However, lately I feel like what's the point anymore. If you look on Youtube, music videos get the lowest engagement compared to lame videos like talk shows, top 10 lists, and animal videos. The average music video gets $16k views. Only a small top tier group of artists get millions of views.

I see Hip Hop groups putting out amazing music with incredible videos getting 10k views. Music sales are all but dead and streaming pays next to nothing anymore. People don't seem to appreciate music - especially the younger generations. Everyone who has a laptop thinks they can make amazing beats. Everyone thinks they can rap but the truth is only a small elite can actually do it at a top tier level.

I love making music just to do it but I also do it to see some feedback and appreciation for all your efforts. Musicians like interacting with others and watching what they create have an impact. Now, even albums like Pete Rock's SP1200 album is all but ignored except for a small select few.

So I ask - what is the point anymore if people don't care, people barely listen (even to well known groups - IE. Erick Sermon's latest album), and devote their time to other things outside of music.

Yes, you can make your own music and do it for your own ego but I enjoy doing it so people get enjoyment out of it and like seeing the interaction. If some of the best artists can't even demand attention, why bother anymore?
People still are listening to music online though. I seen videos with 1 billion views. Granted it was a pop song but that shows you it can be done.

Hip hop was heavily promoted by the big music executives in the 2000s, probably due to lower budgets of producing an album.

This decade though EDM seems to have a bigger presence.

The point though if you truly like your music, nobody else needs to like it. I read an article about 20 years ago about making hip hop beats and it pretty much stated you need to have a love for the craft to succeed in the long term. 20 years later that statement makes a whole lotta more sense now than back then. Love is what keeps you up late at night finalizing a track. Love keeps you in the fight in your worst of times. I seen too many people give up only to realize they might not have really had the true love of the art.

Keep at it do what you love, if you love it, dont give a **** what anyone else think or feel.

Chances are what you love somebody else loves. Sometimes it is better to have a smaller consistent fan base than a short term huge wave of fans. The bigger you get the harder you fall.