View Single Post
Old 3rd June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimoyjk View Post
ok, so I'm trying to figure out how more many mics I needs to record basic jazz trio.

I guess I could use ksm141 pair and C414, la320 for piano as you suggested, and then I need mics for drums, and upright bass.

thinking line audio cm3 for drum overheads, and one ldc for kick drum. and one ldc for upright bass.

can you guys recommend budget ldc for kick drum and upright bass?

or if you have other suggestions than what I'm planning to do, please let me know!
So I would use the KSM's, the 414 and the 320 on piano mostly for recording any solo piano pieces you might want to record and use a much simpler mic setup for ensemble recording, like maybe a stereo pair, or even just a single 414 or 320.

Using a single mic on piano might seem like bad advice, but you have to remember what I was saying about piano in different contexts for a mix with other instruments and solo pieces. You won't need as much low frequency information from the piano because you have the double bass to fill out the low end. Most of your melodic information is going to come from the middle and upper middle registers of the instrument, so that is where you focus your one mic. It's arguably better to treat a piano as a point source in an ensemble recording so you can pan it in the stereo field, rather than having a stereo piano take up twice as much space in the mix. If you think about watching a jazz ensemble live, usually the piano is on one side of the stage or the other. There's nothing wrong with treating it that way in your recording.

Plus it frees up 3 microphones for other instruments.

I think you would benefit from experimenting with a few different mic setups on the piano like the stereo pair, the 4 mic setup, and a single mic with the aim of using each of them in different situations. Most mic techniques are perfectly suited for only a handful of scenarios.

Just out of curiosity, what are the dimensions of your room? I only ask because the more people you try to record on the floor at the same time, the more space you really need to pull off a recording without a lot of bleed and possibly phasing issues between the open microphones.

@ Bushman - actually, three LDC's is not an uncommon drum mic setup for jazz recordings. Given the apparent size of his room from the picture, anyway, you're probably right about going with a dynamic mic on kick.