View Single Post
Old 30th May 2019
Lives for gear

This questions tells something about you, if you think about it.

If you're a pop artist, I don't think there's much I can say.

If not…you do it because you love making music. It's that thing that gives you (or at least me) a lot of joy, sense of meaning, fulfilment, satisfies my passion.
It's that flower you water as will give you a lot back.
Sometimes it helps to shed off all the external bull****, take a small break from it…and I swear you'll get back to it because you realize you love it.
I've been in that "is this worth it?" crossroads many times but I always get back after shedding off that BS and I do my best work after that.
Do it for you. Do it for the love of music. Like someone said, artists make it because they have to.
If you feel you don't have to, you can let it go.

I've been a releasing artist for 15 years, always making at least some beer money on the side, and sure enough, it's got more difficult these days.
I've made money from my music but I've never made music *for* money. It slightly supplements my income as a mixing and mastering engineer, and I'm happy about that. I'd make my living from engineering only, but honestly, everything that comes in from the products of pure love feel really good.
If I had tried to become a person who lives off of his productions, I would've experienced some pains at some point.
But now it's more like, I'm happy I've always made music, as there's a lot of if out there, and people play it little by little every month and buy some.

I guess I kind of digress here, but if I had tried and made music for money, that would've resulted in unhappiness, but as I always made it out of joy without thinking about money, ironically it gained me some. If I saw in a crystal ball that it'll gain me zero bucks in the future, I'd still do it with the same undying passion.