View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
Ah. I tend to think of the system functions as being distinct since you have to press a modifier to toggle between them and the true function key behavior. Frankly, I find the Touch Bar shines for all the system features. Instead of tapping away at brightness adjustment keys or holding them and hoping to release at the right time, you can touch them and drag sideways to adjust volume and brightness with much more precision.

Better yet, there are a ton of context-specific behaviors that show up. Type a command in Terminal and there’s a man page “key” visible without having to memorize the layout. Start debugging in Xcode and all the stepping behaviors are readily visible. Playing back audio or video? There’s a scrubber bar. Selecting colors, you can see the spectrum laid out. It’s really much more useful than I expected.
I could get on board with the touchbar if it was in addition to regular function keys rather than replacing them. There's certainly room for an extra row if they made the comically huge trackpad slightly smaller.