View Single Post
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baying Ridges View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forums but have been lurking for a while and have learned so much here. I was hoping some of you might be able to help me out with some ideas for a hardware poly for me. I have some ideas in mind but I want to hear all of your recommendations and do not want to color your recs with my preliminary thoughts.

I currently have a moog mother-32 and a Grendel Drone Commander v1 which I love (along with bass guitar, patchulator 800 and numerous pedals, ipad synths, and VSTs on a macbook). I am looking for a poly that would compliment the Mother and Grendel. I mostly make ambient type music these days and I am thinking that the poly would be used primarily for pads, chords, soundscapes, etc. But, I would also like something that I can experiment with. Not looking for any type of classic sounds or too much preset reliance as I find a lot of inspiration from tinkering and developing sounds on my own.

Now for the requirements: No keyboard or modular (must be a desktop model; semi-modular like the mother is fine though), 1 knob per function; none or minimal menu diving; something intuitive without a huge learning curve; ability to experiment and come up with new and interesting/crazy sounds.

Would be nice: not required but ability to save presets would be a plus; clock-in to have the Grendel clock out go into it.

I'd ideally like to keep the price under around $700, however, I am open to ALL recommendations. If you had a budget rec and then a money no object rec that would be great! At some point soon I would also like to add a hardware sequencer to sequence the poly and the mother, but that is a whole other can of worms.

Thanks all and looking forward to your recommendations!
Honestly it sounds like the Medusa would satisfy all of your requests, AND it would also serve as a sequencer, which you'd other have to buy separately.

Especially with the latest firmware update.

Also perfect for ambient and soundscapes.

Price-wise a secondhand model would be in your price range, but if you consider you plan to buy an additional sequencer eventually, even buying one new would be less expensive in the long run.