View Single Post
Old 15th May 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post
Talk about putting the cart before the horse

How about selecting the right mic for your source?

Hi thismercifulfate
My sources are trumpet, voice, acoustic guitar, snare/brushes, acoustic bass (and electric guitar through a direct input).
I just like to play and make music as an amateur, nothing professional.
So my setup is quite simple and predictable. I don't need several mics and i don't want them.
I like a versatile, minimalist but good quality setup with good quality tools.
So two preamps of which a channel strip, two microphones, stereo ADDA conversion and a daw are enough for my purpose.
And my studio is not acoustically perfect. So i need microphones that fit well with it. I have had many condenser through the years but i have found the best results, in my own context, using dynamics mics. I wanted to keep the 737 when i changed my setup. Because it is perhaps the best pre i have had, very focused, natural and in face. And also classy clean with a slow and smooth compressor and a sweet eq, especially on the high frequencies. Very good on voice and acoustic instruments imo, for folk and jazz music. Paired with the Md441 (and a 58 or a Md7400 sometimes) i can get very good tracks of trumpet, snare and acoustic bass even at a certain distance while for voice alone and acoustic guitar alone i tend to use Grace-Md441 or Grace-737 line in-Md441. But when i want to track acoustic guitar and voice together stereo or dual mono, almost always, lately, i need of two indipendent pres and mics: for now Grace-Md441 and 737-Sm58/Md7400(close miking).
My question is about a mic, dynamic mic, for the second channel to pair with the 737 which allow to record at a certain distance, half a meter, and keep quiet the signal at the same time. Cloud filter etc could be an option, i don't know. But the right dynamic mic, if there is, would have my preference.