View Single Post
Old 14th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JblKid95 View Post
Yes, I’ve tried both. do some reading on here as well. The trio mid range is focals newest. flag ship design. The sm9 felt recessed there and hifi. Sm9 is a glorious sound though. When something is that analytical in the highs and recessed in the mids, and smeared in the lows it feels like a guess work to get the impact right... I don’t like relying on math, I’d rather feel it and get it right off vibe but anytime I went somewhere else it would be wrong. Also Tracks I made came out boxy as opposed to avantone Abby, barefoot, 708, etc. Sm9 is also discontinued now. Full disclosure; I’m selling my trio. I’m going to try a couple more and possibly downgrade back to speakers that aren’t as analytical
It's crazy you mentioned analytical because after a few years of using the Twins, I think I'm finally hitting the same wall. I think at the end of the day I probably just am someone who likes more 2 way designs in monitors - maybe couple a good 2 way with a sub or something. I remember someone saying that the Solos with the Sub 6 was an amazing combo. Kind of feel like the Twins just disperse the sound so wide that I get thrown off by it.