View Single Post
Old 10th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysontysontyson View Post
Interesting that this thread would come up. I just registered on this site, after not using my MPC2500 for essentially a decade. I used to love playing with it, but then life got in the way. Now, I’m looking to get back to using it and I feel like I’m trying to relearn how to ride a bike. I feel like I have the MPC down - and love the feel of it, sequencing/sampling/etc, but, I’m trying to figure out how best to lay down what I put out in my MPC into recorded form (presumably through some recording software — it used to be Cool Edit Pro or Adobe Audition, now I have no clue what’s the best to use). Also, just how to integrate any other hardware that would be helpful (certainly a synth of some kind to provide bass, strings, etc).

I’ll keep my eye open on this thread.
Of course, everyone is going to have a very different opinion regarding DAWs, but I think Presonus' Studio One is certainly one of the easiest to quickly pick up, though it also has some extremely advanced features; the deeper you dig. That being said, any of the modern DAWS out there do essentially the same things, so it really comes down to your personal workflow, preferences, etc., most of which simply take some time experimenting with different programs to figure out.

As far as additional hardware, I honestly wouldn't invest in anything until you have the experience to know exactly what YOU want. Audio software has exponentially evolved in the past decade—nearly literally anything that you can imagine wanting is almost certainly available in software nowadays, and you can usually demo or buy anything quite cheaply vs. hardware. Once you sort of get a grasp of what's out there, and what you're looking for/what appeals to you, THEN you can consider investing in hardware. Otherwise, you're flying blind and you're going to have a lot of regrets if you simply invest randomly in hardware based upon others' opinions.

Also, I'd say more important than whatever DAW you choose, is actually delving into the world of "mixing", which will allow you to eventually take your demo tracks to the level of "sounding like a record". But you may also simply want to have a professional mixing engineer mix your tracks, once recorded from your MPC. I've been mixing for over 20 years, and I can tell you it's an endless rabbit hole... You pretty much have to develop a genuine love for the technical processes involved as it takes up a lot of time to learn, and much, much longer to master. GS can definitely be a great place to begin learning, though.

Last edited by atma; 11th May 2019 at 08:17 PM..