View Single Post
Old 7th May 2019 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
i have XT and MW1, and played Blofeld several times in the store. if you put a MW into a quality delay/reverb/fx it will sound equally "spatial" and stereo wide. probably even better, bcs onboard FX on Blofeld aint that great. i'd use em live, as its handy, but in the studio i'd sure defeat the FX and replace with Lexicon or something.
second, for starters, Blofeld sounds the smoothest of the three, and is arguably closest to the VSTi or "ITB sound". its the only one that does nice smooth creamy wide pads. this is not in the MW/XT job description. XT is digital, but as already mentioned, there's nothing in VSTi world that sounds like it. it can get harsh and whacky but i like that a lot - it has its own signature, depth in programming, and great digi filters. MW is the grittiest but with comparably warm analog filters. agreed they are not on the same level as analog filters on old polyanalogs, but the magic that was synonimous with old PPGs, when you run a gritty 8-bit wavetable into an analog VCF/VCA... stilll happens. so its the next best thing than actually having an old PPG.
this is weird, never heard of problems with Microwaves before. i had two, and several frineds colleuges have em. never heard anyone had any issues. it was made in 1989 - 1992. its not a "vintage" board in a sense that old 70s analogs are, where ocassional maintenance is part of their existance.
mods? never heard of mods on microwave? do tell, do tell
SSM2044 filters (which is a SSM integrated version of a 24dB "ladder" design) is only found in PPG Wave2.2 and Wave2.3 . the first one Wave2 had CEM3320 filters. so microwave sort-of sounds more like that one. tho later ver CEM "voice processors" (vcf/vca) found in MW are no match for 3320 and 3360s in Wave2.
Waldorf NW1 has the old and modern wavetable sound and classical and imported wavetables
And the Russian SM042 KOTELNIKOVSSSR Labs eurorack module has the PPG sound
some classic filter are available as eurorack VCFs
its mono, but in a euro rack with several good ADSRs, LFOs, and a mixer with pan its perfect for mono bass and lead sound
I use NW1, a MW2 for polyphonic (MW1 doesn't sound better for all sounds) and of course Largo/Nave (and many more WT VSTs)
More flexible, from gritty to clean