View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian M. Boykin View Post
Motu 828es and 16a for 24 I/o. Both have the ESS sabre 32 ultra DAC’s. Both have been very stable with zero issues. I run Reaper with them. My front end are all Symetrix SX202’s. Two of which were modded by Jim Williams. I’ve have 16 channels total and all will eventually be modded by Jim. Everything in my studio has been or will be modded in some form or fashion. I also have an MCI JH16 and an MCI JH110B. They will get recapped but probably left alone as far as op amps. If I’m using those I want that sound. I’ve got everything I need to track and mix 24 channels of audio. If I combine tracks ITB it’s endless. I’m gonna set up a 16 channel mobile recording studio for live recording in my area and try to create my own nitch market. I can setup separate from the house with a 6 rack space case and a laptop and capture 16 sources. Then mix it down in my studio at the house. Live albums at an affordable price. I’m hoping it’s attractive to bands because they can play through a set in one sitting and come away with an entire album. I’ll let the market dictate the price. I don’t even know what to charge.
Sounds awesome. I'm a big fan of live recordings, too. Doing it on location is also cool because many bands without years of recording experience get nervous in the studio. Recording them in their familiar space not only saves them money, but eventually lets them sound better. Sure, a great sounding room for drums is hard too beat, but if it fits the music, a live recording of a well reharsed band in their rehearsal space or on stage can easily beat a technically better sounding studio production.